Fast Future Recruitment
Job Title – Trainee Science and Technology Foresight Researchers (x2) [PDF Download]
Working for – Fast Future Research
Location – Working from home, but ideally based in London
Salary – £16,000 per year subject to review after 1, 3 and 6 months
Fast Future is a research and consulting firm that works with global corporations, governments and NGOs around the world. Our aim is to help clients understand, anticipate and respond to the trends, forces and ideas that could shape their environment, the economy and the competitive landscape over the next 5-20 years. Our core activities are futures research, consulting, events, and delivery of workshops and speeches for leadership audiences around the world.
We draw on a range of proven foresight, strategy and creative processes to conduct a range of high impact strategic futures studies. These studies are designed to help clients develop deep insight into a changing world and build thought leadership positions in the marketplace. The insights generated are used to help clients define and implement innovative strategies. We are particularly interested in the future evolution of the global science and technology landscape.
Fast Future is enjoying a period of growth and has a number of exciting client research studies and internal development initiatives underway. To help deliver these projects, we are now looking for two entry level foresight researchers to join our small, close-knit and rapidly expanding team. The roles will be full-time, and performance, personal development goals and salary will be reviewed after one, three and six months.
The primary focus of the roles will be scanning, summarising, compiling, maintaining and analysing a large database of research material on the emerging STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) landscape. This will include scanning for innovations, trends and major developments on matters such as funding initiatives, the global R&D map, science diplomacy, standards, cross-disciplinary breakthroughs, STEM publishing and emerging issues. Alongside this you will have the opportunity to work on a range of Fast Future’s other research projects and take on other internal development responsibilities.
Fast Future is passionate about investing in the professional and personal development of its team and there will be regular opportunities to acquire new skills, attend learning events and maximise your potential. The leave entitlement is 20 days per year and you will have the opportunity to spend a day per month working on voluntary causes of your choice.
We are looking for candidates who have a genuine interest in looking at the future in general and at the outlook for STEM in particular. The right individuals will consider themselves something of a generalist, be interested in and have broad knowledge of a variety of subjects, and be up to date on current affairs and technological advancements.
Necessary Skills and Attributes:
- Curiosity, imagination and a desire to inspire
- Awareness of the latest scientific and technological advances and innovations
- Understanding of international and domestic political, economic and commercial issues and developments
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
- Proven research capabilities
- Ability to scan for and process large amounts of data in a rapid and efficient manner
- Capacity to handle working remotely and independently
- Ability to multitask and keep to deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- A high level of computer literacy
- Comfortable using a wide range of social media and online platforms.
Closing date for receipt of applications – 28th February 2012.
To apply please send the following information to David Saer at email@example.com
- A personal CV
- A 500 word (max) article on a future challenge or development in the STEM field (see our FutureScape newsletter for examples of such articles)
- Another example of something you have written previously
- A covering letter outlining why you want to work for Fast Future, what you can bring to the role and what you hope to gain from the opportunity.
Applicants must supply all of the elements above to be considered for one of these positions.